Rock The Ocean’s Conservation Village is our trademark concept that pairs music and conservation. With Rock The Ocean’s Tortuga Music Festival, we gather 30,000+ music fans on Fort Lauderdale beach for an epic music event. We take this opportunity to assemble 30+ top ocean conservation groups that are doing the best work to help save our seas and provide fans with some great conservation concepts on site. Pairing education and entertainment, we provide an “edu-tainment” experience!
Our mission is to deliver a profound and impactful message of ocean and marine conservation to every attendee at Tortuga Music Festival. In 2018 our theme will be Changing the Tide: “What Is JUST ONE THING You Can Start Doing To Change the Tide?” We want each concert-goer to leave our event knowing what he or she, as an individual, can do to make a difference. Ultimately if 30,000+ fans leave knowing what he/she can do as an individual, what a profound, collective impact we will make!
Just a few highlights from past events:
- Rock The Ocean’s Passport to Conservation: By picking up a ‘passport’ and visiting all 30+ ocean conservation partners to collect their unique stamp, fans can be entered to win a chance to go BACKSTAGE and meet yearly headliners like Kenny Chesney, Luke Bryan, Chris Stapleton, and Zac Brown Band
- 30+ of the best local, state, & national Ocean Conservation Groups
- Fans have been able to check out a live lionfish and staghorn coral, a turtle ambulance and interactive displays with shark tagging and tracking, lionfish capture, sea turtle rescue simulation, and many more!
- Paint with world-renowned artist Guy Harvey – stop by Conservation Village to paint on a 15’x6′ mural started by Guy Harvey
- Clean Vibes Trading Post – Fans collected trash to trade for prizes resulting in over 100,000 lbs of trash being recycled
- Over 9,000 sea oats planted to create a better coastal habitat for sea turtles & other wildlife
- Green Gourmet presents local & celebrity chefs preparing sustainable seafood selections for concert goers to sample
Many artists performing at Tortuga Music Festival also join us in Conservation Village to learn about ocean conservation and participate in hands-on activities like planting sea oat dunes to create a better habitat for sea turtles or checking out a submarine used to evaluate & document the changes in our oceans.
Conservation Village is strategically placed at the center of the action at Tortuga Music Festival to encourage fan interaction and education and consists of more than 30 Conservation Partner booths & displays that we hope to be educational, fun, and interactive. Conservation Village Partners host a display representing their organization, educate fans on their mission, allow fans to leave the festival with an “awakened consciousness” of the issues our oceans and marine environments are facing, and most importantly, what they, the fans, can do to make a difference!
Each year, Rock The Ocean strives to include the top ocean & marine conservation groups doing the best work to save our oceans. In 2018, our Conservation Village Partners include:
- Atlantic White Shark Conservancy
- Beneath The Wave
- The Billfish Foundation
- Bimini Biological Field Station Foundation
- Coastal Conservation Association of Florida
- Coral Restoration Foundation
- Clean Vibes Trading Post
- DEEPEND Consortium
- Florida Dept of Environmental Protection Southeast Florida Coral Reef Initiative
- Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation
- International Game Fish Association (IGFA)
- Loggerhead Marine Life Center
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch
- The Nature Conservancy
- Nova Southeastern University Oceanographic Center – Broward County Sea Turtle Conservation Program
- Nova Southeastern University Oceanographic Center – Coral Nursery Initiative
- Nova Southeastern University Oceanographic Center – Kerstetter Fisheries Laboratory
- Nova Southeastern University’s Oceanographic Center – Guy Harvey Research Institute (GHRI)
- Oceanic Preservation Society
- Project Baseline
- Raw Elements
- Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF)
- Reef Relief
- Rock The Ocean
- Sea 2 Shore Alliance
- Sea Turtles Adventures
- Sea Turtle Oversight Protection (STOP)
- Sharks 4 Kids
- South Florida Wildlife Center
- University of Florida Program for Shark Research
- University of Miami RECOVER
- University of Miami Marine Mammal Rescue Team
- University of Miami Rescue a Reef
- University of Miami Shark Research & Conservation Program
- 1000 Mermaids/Miami Body Cast LLC
Have questions or want to see how you can get involved?